Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in Duval County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Felipe Valerio Store and Garage

(1.5 mi. southeast)

 
 
Felipe Valerio Store and Garage Marker image. Click for full size.
By MacGeorge Johnson, November 15, 2011
1. Felipe Valerio Store and Garage Marker
Inscription. Built in 1905 by Felipe Valerio (1878-1953) and his wife Jesusa (1886-1973), the Valerio store was an integral part of the small community of La Rosita. Located approximately halfway between San Diego and Freer, the store provided groceries and other goods for residents of this rural area. An increase in business from the area oil boom in the 1930s led to the addition of a gas station and garage. The store also served as a bus station, and Felipe Valerio was local postmaster from 1917 to 1929. Construction of State Highway 44 led to the closing of the store in 1956.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1585.)
 
Location. 27° 48.556′ N, 98° 25.37′ W. Marker is in San Diego, Texas, in Duval County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 44 and Farm to Market Road 3196 on State Highway 44. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Diego TX 78384, United States of America.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Felipe Valerio Store and Garage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shane Cormier, November 15, 2011
2. Felipe Valerio Store and Garage Marker
Grounds around the marker today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2011, by Shane Cormier of Lafayette, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2011, by Shane Cormier of Lafayette, Louisiana. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement