Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Former Site of Tory Gaol

 
 
Former Site of Tory Gaol Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 9, 2007
1. Former Site of Tory Gaol Marker
Inscription.
A log jailhouse (gaol),
built to house
British prisoners or Tories,
stood on this site in June, 1776.
The tiny two story gaol
was 30 feet long and 20 wide.
The six-room facility
held prisoners throughout the
Revolutionary War.
Converted to a stable
after the war,
the building stood until 1846.

 
Erected by Farmers & Mechanics National Bank.
 
Location. 39° 24.994′ N, 77° 24.618′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on East 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frederick MD 21701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Market Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Francis Scott Key (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Thomas Schley (about 400 feet away); Enoch Louis Lowe (about 500 feet away); In April 1861 (about 500 feet away); Capital For A Summer (about 500 feet away); Kemp Hall (about 500 feet away); Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
 
Also see . . .  Early History of the Frederick County Jail
Former Site of Tory Gaol Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 9, 2007
2. Former Site of Tory Gaol Marker
. Includes some additional details of the Tory Gaol. Also mentions several individuals hung for treason during the operation of the gaol. (Submitted on January 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,042 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement