Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Town of Lake

 
 
Town of Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 21, 2011
1. Town of Lake Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1838, the Town of Lake was one of seven townships that made up pioneer Milwaukee County. Its original borders were Lake Michigan, 27th Street, Greenfield Avenue, and College Avenue. The City of Milwaukee annexed large sections of the town over the decades, adding room for the Historic South Side, Bay View, and Tippecanoe neighborhoods. The suburbs of Cudahy and St. Francis were also carved from Town lands. By the 1930ís, all that remained of the original township was a truck farming and greenhouse district south of Howard Avenue. In 1940, hoping to preserve its independence, the Town of Lake completed this Art Deco tower to house a new water works and municipal offices. Rapid postwar development and steadily rising property taxes finally led local residents to join the City of Milwaukee. The last annexation was completed in 1954, and the Town of Lake became a cherished memory.
 
Location. 42° 58.324′ N, 87° 55.193′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of South 6th Street and West Norwich Street, on the right when traveling south on South 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 S 6th Street, Milwaukee WI 53221, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles
Town of Lake Water Tower image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 21, 2011
2. Town of Lake Water Tower
From across 6th Street
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Mitchell Field (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Josaphat Basilica (approx. 2.1 miles away); Joseph Schlitz (approx. 2.2 miles away); Edward George Ryan (approx. 2.2 miles away); Byron Kilbourn (approx. 2.2 miles away); Orville Cadwell (approx. 2.2 miles away); In memory of Franklin Van Valkenburgh (approx. 2.2 miles away); Forest Home Soldiers' Lot (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Also see . . .  Town of Lake Water Tower and Municipal Building (pdf file). City of Milwaukee Historic Designation Study Report (Submitted on November 28, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made Features
 
Town of Lake Water Tower image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, September 21, 2011
3. Town of Lake Water Tower
from the north
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,132 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement