In the 1890s, leaders from the black community sought the advice of County Judge Arthur B. Green, and he offered to give the citizens three acres of land for a new cemetery. Trustees of the cemetery accepted the gift on October 24, 1896. They moved the graves from the original location to the new site and changed the cemetery name to Greenfield to reflect the judge's generosity. In 1910, cemetery trustees bought additional land from Green's widow and children.
The cemetery's earliest marked grave dates to 1906, but dozens of earlier graves exist. The military service and fraternal organization markers found throughout the burial ground reflect the contributions, efforts and work of generations of the area's African American residents.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003
Smaller additional marker
This marker given by Judge Ruth Pritchard in memory of her many friends who are buried in Greenfield Cemetery.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13280.)
Location. 30° 43.618′ N, 94° 56.612′ W. Marker is in Livingston,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Indian Trails (approx. 1.2 miles away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 1.2 miles away); "Polk County Enterprise" (approx. 1.2 miles away); Polk County, C.S.A.. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Polk County Courthouse (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Polk County (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.