Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cambridge in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Davenport Car Manufactory

 
 
Davenport Car Manufactory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, November 19, 2011
1. Davenport Car Manufactory Marker
Inscription.
Site of the factory of Charles Davenport
Pioneer of railroad car development
Builder of carriages and stages
1832 – 1857


 
Erected by Cambridge Historical Commission.
 
Location. 42° 21.782′ N, 71° 5.714′ W. Marker is in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Osborne Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 Main Street, Cambridge MA 02139, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Long-Distance Phone Call (here, next to this marker); Fort Washington (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jake & Earl's Dixie BBQ (approx. ¾ mile away); Putnam School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Spot where the British Landed (approx. one mile away); New Fenway Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fenway Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ted Williams (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cambridge.
 
Also see . . .  Railroad history site. A detailed account of Charles Davenport’s business ventures. (Submitted on November 21, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
Davenport Building from Across Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, November 19, 2011
2. Davenport Building from Across Main Street
The blue marker is on the corner of the building, between the first- and second-floor windows.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement