Paducah in McCracken County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The August 8th Emancipation Celebration at Stuart Nelson Park
Burks Chapel AME,7th and Ohio, ran the first school for Negro children funded b black Paducah residents around 1978. Tuition was 25 cents.
Despite opposition, Dr. Dennis H Anderson founded West Kentucky Industrial College, 1909~1911, to train black teachers. By 1938, it was the third largest black junior college in America.
Lincoln Elementary School, built in 1894, later became Lincoln High School, a center for black education and community activity until the 1960s. After integration of Paducah's schools, it became Whiteside Elementary School.
Rowlandtown School is one of several area structures containing 90 pound, 18 inch long solid concrete blocks developed by Charles and Ed Reynolds.
Erected by Citizens of Paducah.
Location. 37° 5.323′ N, 88° 35.664′ W. Marker is in Paducah, Kentucky, in McCracken County. Marker is on North Water Street. Touch for map. This mural is between "Market" and Union Gen. U.S. Grant. Marker is in this post office area: Paducah KY 42001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers "Market" (here, next to this marker); Fire Station #5 at 17th and Broadway (here, next to this marker); Union Gen. U.S. Grant (a few steps from this marker); Barkley/Cobb Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Paducah's River Industry (a few steps from this marker); Paducah's Architecture (within shouting distance of this marker); Paducah 1873 "Birds Eye View" (within shouting distance of this marker); Illinois Central 2613 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paducah.
Categories. • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.