Chester Gap in Rappahannock County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
This lower Shenandoah Valley county was formed from Shenandoah and Frederick Counties in 1836. The county was named for Joseph Warren, a Boston Revolutionary War patriot killed during the Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775. It contains a portion of Shenandoah National Park and the world-famous Skyline Drive, which was completed in 1939. The county seat is Front Royal.
(Rappahannock County Side):
Scenically situated along the Blue Ridge Mountains, Rappahannock County was formed from Culpeper County in 1833. It was named for the Rappahannock River, which forms its northern border. The Rappahannock River received its name from the Indian tribe that lived along its banks. The county seat is Washington, whose name honors George Washington, who platted the grid plan for the community in 1749. Malcolm F. Crawford, who had worked at the University of Virginia, constructed the Roman Revival courthouse there in 1833.
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z-173.)
Location. 38° 51.701′ N, 78° 7.885′ W. Marker is in Chester Gap, Virginia, in Rappahannock County. Marker is on Remount Road (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gettysburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Minding the Gaps (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester Gap (within shouting distance of this marker); Albert G. Willis (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Massanutten (approx. 4.2 miles away); Indian Old Fields (approx. 4.3 miles away); Discovery Shenandoah Valley (approx. 4½ miles away); Warren County/Fauquier County (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester Gap.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 363 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 22, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.