Richmond in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Richmond Supply Company Building
In 1911 he bought a truck and began the Richmond Supply Company, the oldest continuing family business in Richmond. Later his wife, Trannie Freeman, became part of the business and after W.W.II his son, Robert Dornan Jr., joined them. The building was sold in 1947 when the business moved into 145 West Richmond Avenue. The business continued until 1987.
In May 1990 the building was saved from destruction by community action. It was moved to its present location 139½ Washington Avenue to serve as an information center for the Point Richmond History Association.
Point Richmond History Association Project
Erected 2008 by Point Richmond History Association Project.
Location. 37° 55.584′ N, 122° 23.13′ W. Marker is in Richmond, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Washington Street near West Richmond Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 139½ Washington Avenue, Richmond CA 94801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Critchett Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Women's Westside Improvement Club (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Sentinel" (within shouting distance of this marker); By Land and By Sea (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clay, Kilns & Brick (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wartime Changes (approx. 1.2 miles away); War Boomtown (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. Although the marker is undated, the Point Richmond History Association's newsletter (Vol. XXVI-5) indicates that the marker was to be dedicated in May 2008.
Also see . . . The Point Richmond History Association Homepage. Contain historical photos of Point Richmond and newsletters of the Association. (Submitted on November 24, 2011.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 24, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.