Guilderland in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
held April 5, 1803 in this
house at that time a
by Hendrick Apple
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 42.619′ N, 73° 59.102′ W. Marker is in Guilderland, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of New York State Route 146 and Hurst Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 146. Touch for map. Marker is opposite Hurst Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 590 Route 146, Guilderland NY 12084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Lutheran Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); House Built 1802 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Freeman House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Palatine Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Inn of Jacob Crounse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Knower House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dr F. Crounse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Family Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guilderland.
Regarding First Meeting. Beginning in the 1760s, Hendrick Appel's tavern was a welcome site for tired Schoharie Road travelers, who would quaff his famous
According the local historian, Ms. Alice Gegley, the tavern owners name was originally spelled, "Appel", however he Americanized it after he was here a while.
— Submitted November 26, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 677 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 26, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.