Altamont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Inn of George Severson
Built at close of Revolution
First Post Office of
West Guilderland as
this place was then called
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 42.013′ N, 74° 2.012′ W. Marker is in Altamont, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Altamont Blvd (New York State Route 156), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is roadside and at the edge the Stewarts parking area. Marker is in this post office area: Altamont NY 12009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Altamont Free Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Altamont (about 700 feet away); Altamont High School (approx. ¼ mile away); John Groot (approx. half a mile away); Severson House (approx. half a mile away); Old Plank Road (approx. half a mile away); Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Dr F. Crounse (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Altamont.
Regarding Inn of George Severson. George Severson inherited the "Wayside Inn" from his father who had rented the property from patroon Stephen Van Rensselaer. After the anti-rent
The building of the new Schoharie and Albany Plank Road in 1849 rerouted travelers along what is now Western Avenue. With the loss of patrons, the inn soon closed its doors. Even with the development of the railroad depot and the short lived Schoharie and Albany Plank Road which was abandoned in 1867, the inn never reopened.
Upon his death, George Severson left an attic full of documents and papers telling the story of life at the Wayside Inn. He served not only as an innkeeper, but also a merchant, a postmaster and a town tax assessor.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.