Sandy Hook in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Thwarted that spring, Jackson returned to Harpers Ferry in mid-September 1862, during the Confederacy's first invasion of the North. Jackson's three-day siege included an infantry battle on the crest of Maryland Heights on September 13, in which the Confederates advanced south along the ridgetop. The Naval Battery guns were turned uphill to pound the crest, but orders to retreat forced the Federals to abandon the mountain and this battery.
On September 22, one week after the Union surrender at Harpers Ferry, U.S. forces returned to Maryland Heights to build fortifications at better locations on the crest and slope of the Heights. The Naval Battery lost its defensive importance and eventually became an ordnance depot.
Location. Touch for map. Located on the hiking trail of Maryland Heights, at the second trail wayside. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville MD 21758, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hiking Maryland Heights (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maryland Heights - Mountain Fortress of Harpers Ferry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Exploring Maryland Heights (approx. ¼ mile away); Making a Mountain Citadel (approx. ¼ mile away); 30-Pounder Battery (approx. ¼ mile away); Charcoal Making on Maryland Heights (approx. 0.3 miles away); 100 - Pounder Battery - Heaviest and Highest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Harpers Ferry - Changes through Time (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. On the lower left of the marker is a drawing depicting the battery in use:
The Naval Battery's original armament included 9-inch Dahlgrens (avove left), with these features:
Shell weight: 70lbs Overall Length: 10.5 feet
Tube weight: 9,000 lbs Range: 3,450 yards (approx. 2 miles)
Bore Diameter: 9 inches
"By July 1863, a three-sided earthwork protected
On the upper right a photo shows, "At first, the Naval Battery's three guns sat on a clear, manmade leveled area. This August 1862 photo taken from across the Potomac River at Camp Hill shows the Naval Battery position."
On the lower right is an engineering elevation of the battery, "By January 1863, the battery consisted of seven separate platforms protected by sandbag embankments, or ramparts. Four powder magazines for ammunition storage also had been constructed."
Regarding Naval Battery. This marker is one of a set along the National Park Service's trail to the top of Maryland Heights. You can see the other markers in this set through the Maryland Heights Virtual Tour by Markers link below.
Also see . . .
1. Maryland Heights. National Park Service details about the heights and the hiking trail. (Submitted on January 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Maryland Heights Virtual Tour by Markers. A set of markers relating the history of Maryland Heights in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. (Submitted on February 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,598 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.