Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Governor William H. H. Ross

 
 
Governor William H. H. Ross Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. Governor William H. H. Ross Marker
Inscription. Born on June 2, 1814 in Laurel, Delware, William Henry Harrison Ross was the son of Caleb and Letitia Lofland ross. He was educated in local public schools and later attended Claremont Academy in Pennsylvania. As a young man ross was employed in a variety of business pursuits in his native community including the operation of a general store, mills and a tannery. In 1845 he moved to a farm on the north side of Seaford where he became engaged in extensive agricultural activities. He was among the first Delawareans to embrace the emerging economic importance of fruit cultivation. An active Democrat, Ross served as Governor of Delaware from 1851 to 1855. During his term he played a major role in reviving efforts to extend rail service to the southern portion of the state. A slave holder and a noted Southern sympathizer, Ross spend most of the Civil War years living in Europe. After the war he returned to this community and conducted a successful business as importer and manufacturer of fertilizers and agricultural supplies. Following his death in 1887, William Henry Harrison Ross was laid to rest at St. Luke's Episcopal Church.
 
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-211.)
 
Location. 38° 38.619′ N, 75° 
Governor William H. H. Ross Grave image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Governor William H. H. Ross Grave
36.543′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Front Street (Business U.S. 13) 0.1 miles north of High Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Between the King and Poplar streets, in front of St. Luke's Episcopal Church. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Luke's Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); Forty & Eight Boxcar (within shouting distance of this marker); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seaford Fire Department (approx. mile away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. mile away); Old Seaford Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Seaford Hundred (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
More about this marker. St. Luke's Episcopal Church is the subject of its own marker, just a few feet to the left of this Ross marker. Ross' mansion, home of another Ross marker, is located about a mile and half north of St. Luke's on Ross Station Road.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesNotable PersonsPoliticsWar, US Civil
 
Ross' Children's Graves image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
3. Ross' Children's Graves
Graves of Ross' children are in the graveyard, including Caleb Ross (marker on the right) who died in 1861 "in the Confederate service".
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,593 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   2. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement