Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Norwood in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Holland Red Door Store

 
 
The Holland Red Door Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, March 8, 2010
1. The Holland Red Door Store Marker
Inscription. In 1860 James Holland purchased this land and built the general store that still stands today. Located at the intersection of the toll roads to Baltimore and Olney, the store was at the heart of a community that became known as Holland's Corner.

In 1889, the intersection was renamed Norwood and issued a post office. James Holland was selected as the first postmaster. Holland's building was expanded to accommodate the store, post office, and a living area for Holland's family.

A former shopper recalled visits to the Holland Store in the early 1900s. Sugar was scooped from a barrel and sold for 54 cents per pound. Cheese was also sold by the pound. "Chunks" were cut from a cheese wheel stored in a wooden box.

The location of Holland's store on this 1865 map.

The Rachel Carson Greenway

In 2004, this trail corridor was named in honor of the mother of the modern environmental movement, Rachel Carson. When complete, the Rachel Carson Trail will be 25 miles long, connecting the Annacostia Trail System in Prince George's County, to the Patuxent River State Park in the north. The Greenway will eventually connect to the Seneca Creek Greenway and Potomac River creating a 50-mile continuous trail system in Montgomery County.

For more information and updates as this trail
The Holland Red Door Store image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, March 8, 2010
2. The Holland Red Door Store
is built, visit www.MontgomeryTrails.org.

"Drink in the beauty ... and wonder at the meaning of what you see." - Rachel Carson, The Sense of Wonder (posthumously 1965)
 
Erected by Montgomery Parks.
 
Location. 39° 7.518′ N, 77° 1.677′ W. Marker is in Norwood, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Layhill Road (Maryland Route 182) and Norwood Road, on the right when traveling south on Layhill Road. Touch for map. Marker is next to the parking lot adjoining the store building. Marker is in this post office area: Sandy Spring MD 20860, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodlawn (approx. 0.2 miles away); African Americans and Quakers in Sandy Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting House (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sandy Spring Friends Meeting Site (approx. 1.5 miles away); Higgins Tavern (approx. 2.3 miles away); Olney House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Smithville Colored School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Kemp Mill (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norwood.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Holland Store. Maryland Inventory of Historic
The Holland Red Door Store image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, March 8, 2010
3. The Holland Red Door Store
View of the store from the opposite side of "Holland's Corner".
Places (Submitted on February 24, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

2. Montgomery Trails. URL Mentioned on the Marker (Submitted on February 24, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. AgricultureEnvironmentSettlements & Settlers
 
Red Door Country Store image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
4. Red Door Country Store
Geneva Wagon Scales image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
5. Geneva Wagon Scales
The Store also had a set of wagon scales to weigh the goods of farmers traveling to market so that their tolls could be accurately assessed.
The location of Holland's store on this 1865 map. image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
6. The location of Holland's store on this 1865 map.
A Wagoner image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
7. A Wagoner
Rachel Carson Greenway image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
8. Rachel Carson Greenway
In 2004, this trail corridor was named in honor of the mother of the modern environmental movement, Rachel Carson. When complete, the Rachel Carson Trail will be 25 miles long, connecting the Annacostia Trail System in Prince George's County, to the Patuxent River State Park in the north. The Greenway will eventually connect to the Seneca Creek Greenway and Potomac River creating a 50-mile continuous trail system in Montgomery County.
The Holland Red Door Store image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
9. The Holland Red Door Store
The Red Door image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
10. The Red Door
Nearby Woodlawn Manor image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
11. Nearby Woodlawn Manor
Park Police Special Operations Section
MSP Aviation Division
Norwood Section
Woodlawn Manor image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 28, 2012
12. Woodlawn Manor
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2011, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2011, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on February 24, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement