Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buena Park in Orange County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of Lily Creamery

 
 
Site of Lily Creamery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 31, 2008
1. Site of Lily Creamery Marker
Inscription. Established 1889 as the Pacific Condensed Milk, Coffee and Canning Co. by J.M. Pitblado. First evaporated milk cannery in California and the first industry in Buena Park. The Bixby family owned the factory from 1896 until it closed in 1907. Site was later used as a tomato cannery.
 
Erected 1976 by Orange County Board of Supervisors and Orange County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Location. 33° 51.902′ N, 117° 59.867′ W. Marker is in Buena Park, California, in Orange County. Marker is on Beach Boulevard south of Santa Ana Freeway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6586 Beach Boulevard, Buena Park CA 90621, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buena Park Woman's Clubhouse (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Knotts Berry Farm (approx. 1.4 miles away); “Big Red Cars” (approx. 3.1 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named “Big Red Cars” (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named “Big Red Cars”
Site of Lily Creamery image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 31, 2008
2. Site of Lily Creamery
Marker is mounted on the front of the building under the canopy to the right of the entrance.
(approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named “Big Red Cars” (approx. 3.3 miles away); a different marker also named “Big Red Cars” (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named “Big Red Cars” (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buena Park.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Fullerton Municipal Airport Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, June 22, 2008
3. Fullerton Municipal Airport Marker
One mile east of the Lily Creamery Marker is the Fullerton Airport. This marker is mounted on the wall inside the terminal.

This is Orange County's oldest general aviation airfield still in its orginal location. In early years, the site was used for raising pigs and as a city sewage farm. In 1926 William Dowling, a local pilot, led efforts to make this site a formal airport. In February 1927 he made the first landing at the new Fullerton Airport in his biplane. On April 21, 1928 it was dedicated as a municpal airport and two days later hosted the first of many air shows.

Marker is located at 4011 Commonwealth Avenue, Fullerton, CA.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 29, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2, 3. submitted on November 30, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement