Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
League City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Galveston County Poor Farm

 
 
Site of Galveston County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 24, 2011
1. Site of Galveston County Poor Farm Marker
Inscription. The Galveston County Commissioners Court began planning in 1886 to purchase a farm to house and care for the county's indigent citizens. A site was chosen, and by June 1887 the county purchased 213 acres of land on the banks of Clear Creek. The first building constructed was designed by local architect Nicholas J. Clayton and contained a dining hall. Joe Meyers was hired as the first superintendent.

Poor farms were the accepted manner in which local governments cared for the less fortunate during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Those housed at the Galveston Poor Farm included county citizens who were poor, elderly, mentally ill, or convicted of crimes. All physically able residents were required to help with farming chores, including cultivating and harvesting crops and caring for farm animals. When residents' services were not needed at the farm, they were hired out to work for the County Road and Bridge Commission, or by local residents to help on their family farms.

Funding for maintaining the farm was inadequate, and complaints about living conditions were investigated by the county. Portions of the Poor Farm land were sold to help finance operation of the facility. By 1913, the Commissioners Court closed the site.

The land lay dormant until 1928, when the Galveston County Park was established
Site of Galveston County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 24, 2011
2. Site of Galveston County Poor Farm Marker
Marker is under the trees near the center of the picture
at the urging of local citizens. A pavilion was constructed in 1929, and the park became the site for recreational activities and social gatherings. The pavilion was refurbished in 1975 and reconstructed in 1994 after a fire. In 1985 the site was named the Walter G. Hall Park.
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7467.)
 
Location. 29° 30.8′ N, 95° 6.109′ W. Marker is in League City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Old Galveston Road (State Highway 3) and Houston Avenue. Touch for map. Located Walter Hall park near the baseball field. Marker is at or near this postal address: 807 Highway 3 N, League City TX 77573, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairview Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); League Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); T.J. and Mary Lelia Dick House (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Mary Mission Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mainland Mission Churches (approx. 0.7 miles away); Seito and Kiyoaki Saibara (approx. 2 miles away); Mercury-Redstone (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in League City.
 
Categories. Charity & Public Work
 
Site of Galveston County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, circa 2006
3. Site of Galveston County Poor Farm Marker
Entrance to Walter Hall Park, where marker is located. Click on the picture to enlarge it and look for the stop sign inside the park on the right. Turn right at that intersection, go about 400 feet and look on your left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement