Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Exploration [of Galveston]
Coastal Indians, mainly the Karankawas, inhabited the area and the island abounded in wild game.
Other explorers of the area and surrounding bay waters included Robert Cavelier, Siuer de La Salle, who established a French colony in 1685 in what is now Matagorda County and Luis de Moscoso, successor in command to Hernando de Soto. In the eighteenth century, Dutch buccaneers were active in the Gulf, raiding Spanish galleons. Explorers continued to come to the island and by 1788 the population reached 268.
Galveston Island had many names during its early history. Among them were Culebra, Malhado, San Luis, Isla Blanca and Campeche. In 1783 Jose de Hevia surveyed the island and the bay, reporting he found persons here who gave him assistance. He later named the island Galvez in honor of Bernardo de Galvez, Spainís Viceroy to Mexico.
Erected by The County of Galveston.
Location. 29° 18.194′ N, Touch for map. This marker is directly in front of the Galveston County Courthouse. There is a circle of similar plaques in this location. Marker is at or near this postal address: 722 Moody Ave, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Campbell Childress (here, next to this marker); Texas Bar Association (a few steps from this marker); [Galveston County] Early History (a few steps from this marker); The Rt. Rev. Monsignor James Martin Kirwin (a few steps from this marker); Texas Revolution and Civil War (a few steps from this marker); [Galveston County] 1901-1965 (within shouting distance of this marker); Galveston in the Republic of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Mariner: Leon Smith (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.