Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Texas Revolution and Civil War

 
 
[Galveston During the] Texas Revolution and Civil War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 24, 2011
1. [Galveston During the] Texas Revolution and Civil War Marker
Inscription. Following Laffite's expulsion from Galveston, settlers from the West Indies began to arrive. Within a few years, Galveston became principal port to the Republic of Texas.

Galveston was declared a Port of Entry in 1825 by Mexico and a customs house was established. The City served as capital of The Republic of Texas when President David G. Burnett and his cabinet were forced to abandon the interior at the time Sam Houston's forces met and defeated the Mexican army at San Jacinto in 1836.

Michel B. Menard purchased what is now the present site of Galveston from the Republic of Texas in 1836 for $50,000.

Galveston County was created in 1838 by an act of the Texas Congress. The city of Galveston was incorporated in 1839.

During the next decade, Galveston shared in the rapid growth and development of Texas. Churches were established and banks were founded. The Galveston News began publication and the first Federal Count in Texas was established. The City was soon to become the most important cultural and commercial center in the State.

In 1858, trackage of the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad was completed between the island and Houston.

By July 1861, the Federal blockade was extended to Texas. Confederate forces evacuated Galveston in October, 1862, but in 1863,
Galveston County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans
2. Galveston County Courthouse
This is the Galveston County Courthouse. This and several other markers are located on the circular path you can see around the statue about 200 feet ahead.
with General John Bankhead Magruder in command, the Confederate forces occupied the City, capturing four vessels and some 300 Federal troops. The Confederate forces remained here until the end of the Civil War.
 
Erected by The County of Galveston.
 
Location. 29° 18.193′ N, 94° 47.388′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Moody Avenue and Winnie Street. Touch for map. This marker is directly in front of the Galveston County Courthouse. There is a circle of similar plaques in this location. Marker is at or near this postal address: 722 Moody Avenue, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. [Galveston County] Early History (here, next to this marker); Texas Bar Association (a few steps from this marker); Exploration [of Galveston] (a few steps from this marker); George Campbell Childress (a few steps from this marker); [Galveston County] 1901-1965 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rt. Rev. Monsignor James Martin Kirwin (within shouting distance of this marker); Galveston in the Republic of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Mariner: Leon Smith (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
 
Also see . . .  Battle of Galveston (War Between the States). (Submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Categories. War, Texas IndependenceWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on December 1, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement