Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Beallsville in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Madonna of the Trail

 
 
Madonna of the Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 27, 2006
1. Madonna of the Trail Marker
Inscription. (South Face) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days.

(East Face) On this historic spot, the hunting ground of the friendly Indian Nemacolin, this monument is erected and dedicated to the memory of our pioneer mothers.

(North Face) The National Old Trails Road.

(West Face) Erected in Nineteen Hundred Twenty Eight in Washington County, Pennsylvania, the oldest county west of the Allegheny Mountains. Named for the father of our country.

(Small brass plaque in front of monument) Madonna of the Trail. Presented and dedicated December 8, 1928 by the National Society of the American Revolution. Restored 1990 by the Pennsylvania State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, Mrs. Thomas G. Burkey, State Regent. Rededicated June 23, 1990.
 
Erected 1928 by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 10.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Madonnas of the Trail, and the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 40° 3.622′ N, 80° 0.775′ W. Marker is near Beallsville, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of National Pike (U.S. 40) and the Nemacolin
View from Country Club Driveway Across the Road image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 27, 2006
2. View from Country Club Driveway Across the Road
Country Club driveway, on the right when traveling west on National Pike. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 National Pike W, Beallsville PA 15313, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Centerville (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hill’s Tavern (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Abraham Tegarden Family (approx. 5.5 miles away); California (approx. 6.3 miles away); Joseph A.“Jock” Yablonski (approx. 6.5 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Blink and you'll miss it. The road is straight here, and trees come up to the edge of the road in places. You can't see it in the distance. Look for the Nemacolin Country Club entrance instead.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is the third marker on the route west, in West Virginia.
 
Also see . . .  Madonna of the Trail. “Wife and Mother, Cook and Companion, Drover & Sentry, Nurse and Advisor.” By Annabelle Amick. This page tells the story of these monuments. (Submitted on August 30, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Rededication plaque image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, September 22, 2007
3. Rededication plaque
Inscription image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 26, 2005
4. Inscription
On This Historic Spot
The Hunting Ground
Of The Friendly Indian
Nemacolin
This Monument
Is Erected And Dedicated
To The Memory Of Our
Pioneer Mothers

“The events of this inscription precede the defeat of Braddock. In 1749 the Ohio Company, also known as The Ohio Company of Virginia, was chartered. Made up of wealthy Virginian planters, speculators and London merchants, this organization was granted 200,000 acres of land in West Virginia by King George II. In 1753 King George granted them an additional 350,000 acres. The purpose of this project was to colonize the Ohio Valley. However, because of the French and Indian War, this venture at this time was a failure but the efforts made to implement its objectives changed the course of history.

One of its first endeavors was to engage Colonel Thomas Cresap of Old Town, Maryland to blaze a trail from Will's Creek over the Allegheny Mountains to what is now Pittsburgh. Colonel Cresap persuaded the elderly Delaware Indian Chief Nemacolin to go with him and point out the way.

Colonel Cresap did not build the road -just indicated it by marking the trees and leaving stone piles as reminders. He named this route ‘Nemacolin's Path.’ It was to become a well known and much traveled road.” — Fern Iola Bauer.
Madonna of the Trail image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 26, 2005
5. Madonna of the Trail
August Liembach cast 12 of these pioneer woman statues under the direction of Arlene B. Nichols Moss. They were set out along the National Old Trails Road in 1928, one in each state the road passed through.
Nemocolin Country Club image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 26, 2005
6. Nemocolin Country Club
Across the Rt. 40 from the monument.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,761 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on January 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   4, 5, 6. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement