Chadds Ford in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Chads House
óNational Register of Historic Places ó
Proctorís American Artillery
Occupied Several Redoubts Near
This House at the Battle of
Brandywine, September 11, 1777
Erected 1915 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Chester and Delaware County Historical Societies.
Location. 39° 52.49′ N, 75° 35.497′ W. Marker is in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on Creek Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker is on Creek Road just North of U.S. Route # 1 across from the Chadds Ford Historical Society, at 1736 Creek Road, 19317. Marker is in this post office area: Chadds Ford PA 19317, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Chads Springhouse (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The John Chads House (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Brandywine (approx. ľ mile away); R. B. Monument, 2004 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gradient (Maple Tree), 2015 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Miss Gratz, 1984 (approx. Helen, 1989 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gradient (River Walk), 2015 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chadds Ford.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. .
Also see . . .
1. John Chads House - Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 2, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Brandywine Area Web. (Submitted on December 2, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. Brief History of John Chads House
The house was built in 1725, possibly by John Wyeth, Jr. In 1729, John Chads married Elizabeth Richardson. The couple occupied the home together until John Chads died in 1760. Elizabeth remained in the house for over 60 years, and according to reports, observed Hessian and Continental troop movements from the attic windows.
The house is on the National Register of Historic Places, as part of the Chadds Ford Village Historic District and an element of the Brandywine Battlefield National Historic Landmarks.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,037 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on December 2, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 2, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.