Johns Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John's Island Presbyterian Church
Erected 1960 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 10-2.)
Location. 32° 41.141′ N, 80° 4.926′ W. Marker is in Johns Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Bohicket Road (State Highway 10-20) near Donnelly Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2550 Bohicket Road, Johns Island SC 29455, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Progressive Club (approx. 2.5 miles away); Federal Expedition on John's Island / Battle of Burden's Causeway (approx. 4.2 miles away); Belvidere School Site (approx. 6.1 miles away); Plainsfield Plantation (approx. 6.4 miles away); Battle of Sol-Legare Island (approx. 6.7 miles away); St. Paul's, Stono / St. Paul's Churchyard (approx. 7.3 miles away); Battery Number 5 (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Stono Rebellion (1739) (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johns Island.
Regarding John's Island Presbyterian Church.
John's Island Presbyterian Church (added 1975 - - #75001692)
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦ Architectural Style: Other, Colonial
♦ Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture, Social History
♦ Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1750-1799, 1700-1749
♦ Historic Function: Funerary, Religion
Originally called John’s Island and Wadmalaw Church, the name was shorted to John’s Island Presbyterian Church in 1925. The date of the present church building is under dispute. According to local tradition it was built in 1719 and remodeled in 1792. However, Chancery Court proceedings of 1840 and 1842 refer to pulling down an old church and rebuilding a new one in 1822. A church school addition was built across the rear of the church in 1935. The frame meeting house church was one of the most prevalent styles of early church architecture in South Carolina. Containing refinements such as fanlights, arched windows, and interior balcony paneling, the church gives evidence of the builder’s attention to details and the wealth and prominence of its members, lowcountry planters. The front façade of this T-shaped clapboard structure consists of two front entryways with three-paneled double doors. Centered between the doors is an arched window with
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on December 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.