Pinola in Simpson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Original County Seat of Simpson County
The 1850 census recorded 5 sawmills, 4 grist mills, 3 cotton gins, 2 tanneries, finishing shops, shoemaking, blacksmithing, and 2 saddlery shops. The coming of the railroad in 1900 brought drastic changes in population areas. Westville was to be abandoned but not forgotten. Shortly after Simpson County was organized, a county seat was located and named in honor of Colonel Cato West the site was to be called Westville. The first courthouse was a small log building, then, in 1827, a frame courthouse was erected. In 1844, the courthouse burned and was replaced by a much larger building which was also destroyed by fire in 1872. With all public records being destroyed in this tragic fire, the next courthouse was built of brick and was used until 1906 when the county seat was moved to Mendenhall.
Schools were taught in and around Westville. The first school building was not erected until 1850 "Westville Academy" Henry L Whitfield, later to become governor of Mississippi, served as principal of the school at one time.
Erected 1973 by Simpson County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 52.062′ N, 89° 56.723′ W. Marker is in Pinola, Mississippi, in Simpson County. Marker is on Old Westville Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pinola MS 39149, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Piney Woods School (approx. 13.7 miles away); a different marker also named Piney Woods School (approx. 13.7 miles away); Martha Louise Morrow Foxx (approx. 13.7 miles away); First Choctaw Cession (approx. 14½ miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 672 times since then and 100 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 11, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?