Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
High Bridge in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

High Bridge

 
 
High Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, December 31, 2012
1. High Bridge Marker
Inscription. Home of Union Forge, maker of early farm equipment, cannonballs for Continential Army. Factory, later known as Taylor Wharton ceased operations in 1971.
 
Erected 2000 by Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission marker series.
 
Location. 40° 39.618′ N, 74° 54.228′ W. Marker is in High Bridge, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on W Main Street (County Route 513), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Bridge NJ 08829, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C.K. Hoffman Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Railroad Bridge and Arches (approx. 0.6 miles away); The American Hotel (approx. 0.7 miles away); T.I.S.C.O. Complex (approx. 0.7 miles away); Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company (approx. 0.7 miles away); Taylor Iron and Steel Company (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Joseph Parish (approx. 0.7 miles away); High Bridge and the Railroad (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Bridge.
 
More about this marker.
High Bridge image. Click for full size.
By William Honachefsky Jr, November 13, 2004
2. High Bridge
Original marker that has now been replaced.
The marker and its immediate area are maintained by the Union Forge Heritage Association.
 
Regarding High Bridge. The original area, known as West New Jersey, was inhabited by a division of the Lenape Indians and settled around 1700. In 1742, William Allen leased a 300-acre site extending from present day Califon, New Jersey, to Pattenburg from the West Jersey Society, on which he and his partner, Joseph Turner, established the first ironworks in Philadelphia's colonial times. In 1752, Allen and Turner purchased 10,849 acres in Bethlehem and Lebanon Townships which included our present-day High Bridge.
Source: NJN Television (http://www.njn.net/television/specials/life360/themesbridges.html)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
High Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, February 9, 2009
3. High Bridge Marker
High Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, December 31, 2012
4. High Bridge Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,663 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on January 28, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey. Photos:   1. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.   2. submitted on January 23, 2008, by William Honachefsky Jr of High Bridge/Clinton Twp, New Jersey.   3. submitted on April 7, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.   4. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement