Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
73 Church Street
—circa 1716 —
was one of the original founding members of Charles Towne. A wealthy Charleston "goldsmith" (banker), provincial powder receiver, built this stucco-over brick house circa 1716-33 (near the center of the old walled city.) He gave this home as a wedding gift in 1733 to his daughter Mary on her marriage to Dr. Thomas Dale.
Dr. Thomas Dale (1700-1750) was a British-trained physician, a judge, and author. Dale served as justice of the peace for Berkeley County in 1734-1737; was administrator of the slave detention workhouse overseer of the public slave markets and served one term in the Commons House representing the parish of St. Peter. He translated medical works, published poetry and wrote the prologue to first play ever performed at the Dock Street Theatre (The Recruiting Officer). Mary Dale died in childbirth in 1737 and is buried with her child at St. Philip's church.
Colonel Brewton lived at the southwest corner of Church and Tradd Streets (77 and 75 Church street) and his ownership of this and other adjoining lots led to this area being known as Brewton's Corner and Frances Brewton Pinckney. Charles Pinckney (1732-1782) was a lawyer, president of the Provincial Congress, State Senator, and President of the Senate.
Their eldest son, Charles Pinckney
The house was originally built as a three-story dwelling with a central stair hall and central chimney. It is one of the oldest houses in Charleston and one of the few remaining residences in the U.S. built with small-sized "Dutch" brick ( 1½" x 6¼" x 3"). The house is also a fine example of one of the earliest homes built on the 30' x 30' chamber plan, typical of houses erected before 1750. By the late nineteenth century the dwelling consisted of only two stories and a covered passageway on the first floor which was converted into a garage in the mid-twentieth century. The third floor was reconstructed in 2004 in an effort to restore the building to its original eighteenth century appearance.
Location. 32° 46.467′ N, 79° 55.733′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Church Street south of Tradd Street, on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 73 Church Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Brewton House (here, next to this marker); Dr. Thomas Dale House (here, next to this marker); Capers Motte House (a few steps from this marker); DuBose Heyward House (a few steps from this marker); John McCall House (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Rose's House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); 83-85 Church Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 26 Tradd Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 23 Tradd Street (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . Robert Brewton House. The Robert Brewton House is the earliest accurately dated example of an architectural type known in Charleston as the “single house,” built in 1730. (Submitted on December 12, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.