St. Petersburg in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Settlement and Post Oﬃce
Erected 1937 by Princess Hirrihigua Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 27° 44.72′ N, 82° 38.309′ W. Marker is in St. Petersburg, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street South and Bayside Drive South, on the left when traveling south on 4th Street South. Touch for map. The marker sits on a grassy, triangular plot of land bordered by 4th Street South, Bayside Drive South, and Taylor Avenue South. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Petersburg FL 33705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary, Our Lady of Grace Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); World's First Regularly Scheduled Commercial Airline (approx. 1½ miles away); World Record (approx. 1.6 miles away); Demens Landing (approx. 1.8 miles away); Peter Demens Pioneer Park (approx. 1.8 miles away); S. H. Kress and Co. Building (approx. 1.8 miles away); Stonewall Jackson Memorial Highway Terminus (was approx. 1.8 miles away but has been reported permanently removed. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Petersburg.
More about this marker. The marker was made by the Lebanon Foundry Co. of Lebanon, NH, and is capped with the logo of the Daughters of the American Revolution. It sits along the western edge of St. Petersburg's Big Bayou neighborhood.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 512 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.