Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Titusville in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Roberts Torpedo

 
 
Roberts Torpedo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, October 25, 2009
1. Roberts Torpedo Marker
Inscription.  First successful device for increasing the flow of oil by setting off an explosion deep in a well. It was publicly demonstrated in 1865. The nitroglycerin was made .4 mile south of here, along Hammond Run.
 
Erected 1954 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 37.13′ N, 79° 40.285′ W. Marker is near Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is on Smock Blvd (Pennsylvania Route 8) 0.1 miles south of Barber Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Heisman (within shouting distance of this marker); Standard Oil Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Ida Tarbell (within shouting distance of this marker); Atlantic Motor Oil (within shouting distance of this marker); Tidewater (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil Creek (within
Roberts Torpedo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, October 25, 2009
2. Roberts Torpedo Marker
Photo taken looking north on Route 8.
shouting distance of this marker); Amalie (within shouting distance of this marker); Wolf's Head Oils and Lubes (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
 
Also see . . .  Robert's Torpedo. (Submitted on May 8, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Roberts Torpedo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, May 4, 2019
3. Roberts Torpedo Marker
Area has been redone. It's now a "Welcome Area" for Titusville. The fence behind the prototypical early gas station is a marker displaying plaques outlining the history of the oil industry. It's really well done.
Titusville Sign image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, May 4, 2019
4. Titusville Sign
Pennzoil Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, May 4, 2019
5. Pennzoil Plaque
The Pennzoil brand comes from a long history of foundings and mergers that date back to 1886 when local men Henry Suhr, Samuel Justus, and Louis Walz founded the Penn Refining Company.

In 1914, Penn Refining merged with Germania Refining Company, renaming the companyPenn-American in 1917. Seven years later, Penn-American merged with the Oil City Oil and Grease Company to form Pennzoil Corporation.

South Penn Oil Company was created in 1889 by Standard Oil in response to what Standard perceived as a serious threat from the Producers Protective Assocationnto its supply of crude in the Appalachian Field. South Penn was led by Titusville oilman Joseph Seep.

By the end of 1891, the firm had purchased several oil producers, including Union Oil and Midland Oil -- both owned by the McKinney brothers of Titusville.

SOuth Penn bought 51% interest in Pennzoil in 1925, increasing their ownership to 84% in 1953, and 100% in 1955.

Pennzoil and South Penn's Corporation Headquarters were located in Oil City at the Drake Building until 1965.
 

More. Search the internet for Roberts Torpedo.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 14, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania.   3, 4, 5. submitted on May 8, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement