Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsville in Mercer County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Erie Extension Canal

 
 
Erie Extension Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, June 8, 2008
1. Erie Extension Canal Marker
Inscription. Route of travel and trade, Pittsburgh to Great Lakes, 1840-1871. Important to the western Pennsylvania iron industry before the rise of the railroads. The only remaining canal lock still stands in Sharpsville.
 
Erected 1946 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 15.435′ N, 80° 27.168′ W. Marker is near Sharpsville, Pennsylvania, in Mercer County. Marker is on Lamor Road (Pennsylvania Route 518) 0 miles west of N. Hermitage Road (Pennsylvania Route 18), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsville PA 16150, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Erie Extension Canal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Albert Bushnell Hart (approx. 2.2 miles away); Clay Furnace (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pennsylvania (approx. 5 miles away); Camp Reynolds (approx. 6.4 miles away); Kidd's Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 7.3 miles away); First Sunday School in Mercer County (approx. 8.9 miles away); Bigler Graves (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsville.
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
Erie Extension Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, June 8, 2008
2. Erie Extension Canal Marker
Photo taken looking east on Lamor Road toward Route 18.
Remaining Canal Lock in Sharpsville image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, circa 1980's
3. Remaining Canal Lock in Sharpsville
Old scanned photo taken approximately in the late 1980's.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 555 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 14, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement