Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Chester in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chester County

 
 
Chester County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, May 31, 2008
1. Chester County Marker
Inscription. One of Pennsylvania's three original counties, formed 1682 by William Penn. Name derived from Cheshire in England. West Chester, the county seat since 1788, was incorporated in 1799. County was the scene of important military activities in 1777-1778.
 
Erected 1981 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 39° 57.598′ N, 75° 36.288′ W. Marker is in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on N. High Street near Market Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19380, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chester County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); The First National Bank of West Chester (a few steps from this marker); William Darlington M.D. (a few steps from this marker); Old Glory (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Chester County (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester County World War II Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Disabled Veterans of Chester County Pennsylvania Memorial
Chester County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, May 31, 2008
2. Chester County Courthouse
(within shouting distance of this marker); William Darlington (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Chester.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Chester County - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 

2. Official Website of Chester County. (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. Courthouse Architect - Thomas U. Walter. (Submitted on December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Chester County Courthouse
The Chester County Courthouse was originally constructed in 1846, by Thomas U. Walter at an initial cost of $55,343.98. This brick and stone structure measured 62' by 119' plus a 12' portico. In 1893, a 50' by 135' addition of Indiana limestone was erected under the supervision of architect T. Roney Williamson. A modern section has been added in 1966. In degree of architectural importance the original Walter section is by far the most significant.
    — Submitted December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.

 
Categories. Colonial EraGovernmentNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,484 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on December 14, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement