Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Montgomery-DeFoor House Site
Owning land, both sides of the river, he had a private ferry until a State franchise, Dec. 25, 1837, made it a link in up-state travel to the Cherokee domain -- the house, a way-station on the route & a Post Office, 1825 - 1842.
In 1853 the heirs sold the 1000-acre tract, the house & ferry, to Martin DeFoor, who resided here until his death, 1879. The names of both owners survive as well-known roads.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-63.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 49.245′ N, 84° 27.067′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker was at the intersection of Moore's Mill Road and Bolton Road, on the right when traveling south on Moore's Mill Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30318, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location Montgomery Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnston’s Army Crossed the River (approx. half a mile away); Standing Peach Tree (approx. half a mile away); Fort Peach Tree (approx. half a mile away); Montgomery's Ferry (approx. half a mile away); Battle at Moore’s Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Moore's Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Peachtree, War of 1812 (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. It is believed the marker was hit by a bus, probably sometime in 2005. The text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker prior to disappearance? • Can you help?