Hanover in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
19th Century Industrialization
With 19th century industrialization, individual craftsmen transitioned to factory settings.
• Small bakeries expanded into snack food companies of the 20th century including Utz Quality Foods, Snyders of Hanover, Revonah Pretzels, and Wege Pretzels.
• Tannery and leather cottage industries grew to become the Hanover Glove Company and Sheppard and Myers Shoe Company.
• For many years Hanoverians annually produced 2,000 or more buggies and other pleasure carriages.
• Cigar making industrialized and by 1907 thirty factories were located within the Borough. Between 1880 - 1905, cigar making was the leading manufacturing enterprise in Hanover.
• Brick making, which had been important in the early years, became a major industry by the 1880's.
• Hanover Foundry, Fitz Water Wheel Company, and J.S. young Company, well known for extracts from tree bark, became prominent by 1900.
Location. 39° 48.032′ N, 76° 58.968′ W. Marker is in Hanover, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and Carlisle St., on the left when traveling south on Broadway Touch for map. Marker is on the SE corner of the town square with 7 other markers about the town of Hanover. Marker is in this post office area: Hanover PA 17331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inventions of Hanover (here, next to this marker); Hanover in the Revolutionary war (here, next to this marker); Richard McAllister (here, next to this marker); Digges' Choice, 1737 (here, next to this marker); Hanover Architecture (here, next to this marker); Culture and Entertainment (here, next to this marker); 20th Century Manufacturing (here, next to this marker); Hanover's Wounded (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hanover.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,132 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.