Near Middlebrook in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1943 by the Lutheran Synod of Virginia.
Location. 38° 4.701′ N, 79° 11.494′ W. Marker is near Middlebrook, Virginia, in Augusta County. Marker is on Mt. Tabor Road (County Route 694) 0.9 miles north of Middlebrook Road (Virginia Route 252), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. It is on the grounds of the Mount Tabor Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 334 Mt. Tabor Road, Middlebrook VA 24459, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Tabor Lutheran Church (here, next to this marker); Middlebrook Historic District (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Roanoke College (approx. 4.3 miles away); Avenue of Trees (approx. 4.7 miles away); Augusta County Training School (approx. 5.8 miles away); West View (approx. 6.3 miles away); Montgomery Hall Park (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middlebrook.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Use this link to map the distance between this marker and the marker for Roanoke College in Salem.
Also see . . . A Brief History of Roanoke College. “Roanoke College was founded in 1842 as the Virginia Institute, a preparatory school for boys near Mt. Tabor Church, about eight miles from Staunton, Virginia. The dreamchild of two Lutheran pastors, David F. Bittle and Christopher C. Baughman, the school attracted local boys to its classes to prepare them for Gettysburg College and, hopefully, its Seminary. In 1845, the state incorporated the school as the Virginia Collegiate Institute. Bittle left the school to return to full-time ministry in Maryland. Baughman, seeking a better location and a greater population from which to recruit students, moved the Institute to its permanent home in Salem, Virginia, in 1847. He served the school as principal until 1853, when the Virginia Legislature granted the Institute its collegiate charter under the name Roanoke College and David Bittle returned to accept the presidency.” (Submitted on December 16, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.