Leeland in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
History at Leeland Station
Primmer opposed secession and sent one of his sons to enlist in the Union army. Abram himself aided Confederate deserters and served as a local guide for Union forces. When the Union army occupied Stafford County in the summer of 1862, it used the Primmer fields as pasture for cattle. The largest intrusion upon Belle Air came in the winter of 1862-1863, when the home and farm became a camping ground for the Army of the Potomac’s Third Corps.
The house survived into the mid-twentieth century, at which time the property was known as Walnut Farm. Today, the building no longer stands.
Erected by Maryland Development Company LLC and the homeowners of Leeland Station.
Location. 38° 20.565′ N, 77° 26.787′ W. Marker is in Leeland, Virginia, in Stafford County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Riggs Road, Fredericksburg VA 22405, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Pitcher (approx. half a mile away); Land for God's Work (approx. 0.9 miles away); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cavalry Review (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lincoln Review (approx. 1.7 miles away); James Hunter (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hobby School (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Forlorn Hope (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Regarding History at Leeland Station. An area has been set aside on an as yet to be developed land for Civil War Historic Site Preservation.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,719 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.