Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Calvary Episcopal Church
A stuccoed brick church on Beaufain Street was completed and consecrated in 1849. In 1940 Charleston Housing Authority bought the historic church and lot to build the Robert Mills Manor housing project. The congregation bought this lot on Line Street from the city and dedicated this sanctuary in 1942. Three African-American cemeteries have been on this site: one “Colored,” one Baptist, and Calvary Episcopal.
Erected 2010 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 10-66.)
Location. 32° 47.639′ N, 79° 56.744′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Line Street near Percy Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 Line Street, Charleston SC 29403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Jonathan Jasper Wright (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Calvary Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Cannon Street Y (approx. 0.3 miles away); United Order of Tents Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Septima P. Clark Expressway (approx. half a mile away); Hampton Park Terrace (approx. half a mile away); Burke High School (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Burke High School (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Calvary Episcopal Church. Calvary Church was founded in 1847 to establish a special church for slaves in the Charleston community. Father Paul Trapier held services in March 1848 for the congregation in the basement of St. Philip's parsonage and in mid-July services were moved to temperance Hall on Meeting Street. By early 1849 approximately 30-40 "persons of color" attended in the morning, 100 in the afternoon and 276 in the Sunday school. As laws prohibited teaching a slave to read, all instructions in the church and Sunday school were oral. The original church was a brick structure covered with stucco and painted white with a combination of straight and curved lines. The building was completed and consecrated on December 23, 1849 by the Right Reverend Christopher
( Moja Arts Festival City of Charleston October 2, 2003)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.