Highgrove in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant
Erected 1991 by Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, #296, #241 and #299; Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus; and Riverside County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 24.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 0.702′ N, 117° 20.4′ W. Marker is in Highgrove, California, in Riverside County. Marker is at the intersection of Iowa Avenue and Spring Street, on the right when traveling south on Iowa Avenue. Touch for map. Marker overlooks the Upper Warm Springs Canal. Marker is in this post office area: Riverside CA 92507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Agua Mansa (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mission Inn (approx. 2.7 miles away); Mount Rubidoux Robidoux Grist Mill Site (approx. 4 miles away); Jensen-Alvarado Ranch (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fort Benson (approx. 4.6 miles away); Parent Washington Navel Orange Tree (approx. 5.8 miles away); The First Marsh Grapefruit Trees into California (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Regarding Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant. After the initiation of Riverside's municipal direct current power system in 1896, the Highgrove plant also supplied some electricity to San Bernardino. In 1898, alternating current generators replaced the original direct current generators. Later the plant was merged into the Southern California Edison Company and only remnants are there now. SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.