Named after Queen Victoria, the Victoria Shaft was sunk near the powderhouse in 1890 to prospect the existing Randol workings of the New Almaden Mine.
Powderhouse (photo far right)
The powderhouse was built in 1866 to house black powder used in blasting tunnels. In 1875 alone, over 68,000 pounds of powder were used in the mines. In later years, the small brick building housed dynamite.
The powderhouse was damaged by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. It was restored in 1993 through an historic grant.
St. George Shaft & April Trestle (photo at right)
Ore was carried by trestle out of the April Tunnel and dumped into carts bound for furnaces at Hacienda. The St. George Shaft was started in 1887, fifty feet below April Tunnel and descended to the 1,2000 [sic] –foot level.
The surrounding area, with its miners’ cottages, was known as Kempville.
[Photo caption, upper right] Powderhouse, 1977
Location. 37° 10.889′ N, 121° 50.682′ W. Marker is in San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from Hicks Road. Touch for map. This marker is located in Almaden Quicksilver County Park on the April Tunnel Trail, about 0.1 miles from the intersection with the Mine Hill Trail. Marker is in this post office area: San Jose CA 95120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . The History of New Almaden - The Neighborhoods of San Jose. (Submitted on December 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 407 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.