Near Kanwaka in Douglas County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Territorial Capital of Kansas
Three miles north
Erected 1930 by The Fifty-Sixers and Old Settlers of Douglas County, and the Betty Washington Chapter, D.A.R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Oregon Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 59.605′ N, 95° 23.446′ W. Marker is near Kanwaka, Kansas, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 40 and E 600 Road (County Route 1029), on the right when traveling west on U.S. 40. Touch for map. Marker is at the roadside rest area. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrence KS 66049, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lecompton, Capital of Kansas Territory (here, next to this marker); Lane University (approx. 3½ miles away); Lecompton Constitution Hall (approx. 3.6 miles away); First United Brethren in Christ Church in Kansas (approx. 5.2 miles away); Kansa Indians (approx. 5.8 miles away); a different marker also named Lecompton (approx. 6.7 miles away); Unknown Dead (approx. 7½ miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 7½ miles away).
Also see . . . Oregon National Historic Trail. (Submitted on December 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Exploration • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.