Near Marshallton in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—Howe & Cornwallis crossed the Brandywine here in 1777 —
to the Battlefield of Brandywine,
the British Army under Howe
and Cornwallis crossed the
Brandywine at the ford just
south of this point.
The Pennsylvania Historical Commission
and the Chester and Delaware County
Erected 1915 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Chester and Delaware County Historical Societies.
Location. 39° 56.058′ N, 75° 40.839′ W. Marker is near Marshallton, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on Camp Linden Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1574 Camp Linden Road, 19382, West Chester PA 19382, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trimbleville Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Indian Rock (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Marshallton Historic District (approx. 0.9 miles away); Nathan Simms (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tavern Fare (approx. 1.1 miles away); Martins Tavern and The Battle of Brandywine (approx. 1.1 miles away); Martin's Tavern or Center House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Court of Quarter Sessions (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshallton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Explore PA History – Trimble’s Ford. (Submitted on December 22, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. The British were showed a way to cross the Brandywine here:
A key to the Battle of Brandywine was the question of exactly where British forces would cross the Brandywine Creek. The American commanders believed that they had fortified all of the significant fords of the small river along the route to Philadelphia. They had concentrated their main defensive position around the best crossing place, a location known as Chad's Ford.
But the Americans were somehow unaware of Trimble's Ford, also called Taylor's Ferry, which lay on the western branch of the creek, a few miles above Chad's Ford. Local farmers loyal
— Submitted December 22, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 858 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.