Near Cohutta in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Red Clay
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-34A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 58.882′ N, 84° 55.91′ W. Marker was near Cohutta, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker was at the intersection of Cleveland Highway (Georgia Route 71) and Wilson Caldwell Road, on the left when traveling north on Cleveland Highway. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Cohutta GA 30710, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Red Clay Council Ground (approx. 0.8 miles away in Tennessee); Civil War "No Man's Land" (approx. 2 miles away in Tennessee); Joseph Standing Monument (approx. 5.8 miles away); Water Turbine (approx. 6 miles away); Praterís Mill and The Civil War (approx. 6 miles away); Prater's Mill (approx. 6 miles away); Praterís Mill Store (approx. 6 miles away); Cotton Gin (approx. 6 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker has been missing since at least 1999. Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
Categories. • Native Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 56 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.