Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brandon in Rankin County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Seminary Square

 
 
Seminary Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, September 30, 2011
1. Seminary Square Marker
Inscription. When Brandon was organized in 1828, part of the town, known as "Seminary Square," was set aside for educational purposes. The first school established here was in 1829. The Brandon Male and Female Academy, later named Brandon Female College, was on this site until 1923, when it was replaced by Brandon High School.
 
Erected 2008 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 32° 16.184′ N, 89° 59.362′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Mississippi, in Rankin County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and Houston Street, on the right when traveling south on College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandon MS 39042, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rankin County Confederate Monument (approx. mile away); Town Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rankin County Courthouses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rankin County War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Brandon Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Centenary College (approx. 7.9 miles away); Pearl Methodist Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Gold Coast: Cross the River (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandon.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 25, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 398 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on December 25, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement