Piney Woods in Rankin County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Piney Woods School
One of the main educational concerns of Professor Laurence Clifton Jones, who founded the Piney Woods Country Life School in 1909, was musical training. The school boasted a piano while it was still housed in a converted sheep shed, and beginning in 1923 Jones sent out various groups named the Cotton Blossom Singers across the nation on fundraising tours, sometimes for months at a time. The “Mississippi School for the Blind for Negroes” was also located at Piney Woods between 1929 and 1951, and among the groups who performed a mix of spirituals and popular songs was a quartet of blind students led by Archie Brownlee (1925-1960). The group began singing on campus in 1936 and the following year John A. and Alan Lomax recorded them for the Library of Congress. Later, as the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, the group popularized the “hard gospel” style of
In the mid-‘30s Jones started several new jazz bands at Piney Woods, including the all-male Syncollegians and the all-female Sweethearts of Rhythm. Consuella Carter, the first leader of the group, later directed the music program at Coahoma Junior College in Clarksdale. Most of the Sweethearts were African Americans, but the group earned the tag “international” due to the Chinese, Mexican and Hawaiian heritage of some of its members. The Sweethearts began touring nationally in 1939, but in early 1941 they cut ties with the school and went professional. They became the most popular of the female bands that proliferated during World War II, when many male musicians were serving in the military. Their understudies at Piney Woods, the Junior Sweethearts of Rhythm, continued to perform as the Swinging Rays of Rhythm.
Laurel-born bluesman Sam Myers (1936-2006), who was legally blind, began attending Piney Woods at age 10, and soon played trumpet and drums and sang in the school’s groups. After graduation Myers studied music in Chicago and began performing blues professionally with Elmore James and others. Myers cut his first single in 1957 for the Jackson-based Ace label, and
Erected 2008 by the Mississippi Blues Commission. (Marker Number 47.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi Blues Trail marker series.
Location. 32° 3.659′ N, 89° 59.849′ W. Marker is in Piney Woods, Mississippi, in Rankin County. Marker is on Piney Woods Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piney Woods MS 39148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Piney Woods School (here, next to this marker); Martha Louise Morrow Foxx (here, next to this marker); Flags Over Simpson County (approx. 2.7 miles away); Braxton (approx. 2.7 miles away); Faith Hill (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mendenhall (approx. 10.1 miles away); Weathersby and Choctaw Heritage (approx. 12.9 miles away); Westville, Mississippi (approx. 13.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piney Woods.
Also see . . .
1. Mississippi Blues Trail. (Submitted on December 21, 2015.)
2. Piney Woods Country Life School. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 25, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • African Americans • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 649 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. 3, 4. submitted on October 25, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.