New Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
John Gamble Kirkwood
1907 – 1959
Served: Yale University as Sterling Professor of Chemistry; Chairman of the Chemistry Department (1951-1959) and Director of Division of Sciences (1956-1959); Leiden University as Lorentz Professor of Theoretical Physics (1959); California Institute of Technology as Noyes Professor of Chemistry (1947-1951); Cornell University as Todd Professor of Chemistry (1938-1947); National Academy of Sciences as Foreign Secretary (1954-1958); The United States Government as Scientific Consultant (1941-1959)
Scientific Honors: American Chemical Society Award in Pure Chemistry (1936); Richards Medal (1950); Lewis Medal (1955)
Location. 41° 18.88′ N, 72° 55.682′ W. Marker is in New Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker can be reached from Grove Street near High Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in Grove Street Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 227 Grove Street, New Haven CT 06511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Noah Lane Farnham (a few steps from this marker); Pelatiah Perit (a few steps from this marker); Walter Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Eli Smith (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ithiel Town (about 300 feet away); Eli Smith (about 300 feet away); Edward Robinson Smith (about 300 feet away); Othniel Charles Marsh (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Haven.
Also see . . . John Gamble Kirkwood on Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 26, 2011, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2011, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 26, 2011, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.