Clarksburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Dowden's Ordinary: The Elephant Comes to Clarksburg
- Benjamin H. Latrobe, 1811-
Benjamin Latrobe, architect of the US Capitol made this entry in his sketchbook for October 11, 1811 during his stay at Scholl's Tavern (previously called Dowden's Ordinary). The description accompanied his drawing of the first elephant ever seen in North America. Capt. Jacob Crowninshield of Massachusetts, purchased the elephant in India for $450.00 and brought to the United States. He later sold it to Mr. Owen of New York for $10,000. The elephant toured the east coast from Boston to Charleston between 1796 and 1818. People paid 25 to 50 cents to view the elephant in city marketplaces or rural tavern yards like Scholl's. The elephant's last recorded exhibition was in York, Pennsylvania on July 25, 1818.
Erected by Montgomery County Parks.
Location. 39° 14.186′ N, 77° 16.686′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Located next to a County Playground,in the Dowden's Ordinary Historical area. Marker is in this post office area: Clarksburg MD 20871, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Archaeology at Dowden's Ordinary (within shouting distance of this marker); Tavern Life at Dowden's Ordinary (within shouting distance of this marker); Dowden's Ordinary: A French & Indian War Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Dowden’s Ordinary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to Froggy Hollow (approx. 1.9 miles away); Waters' Mill (approx. 2½ miles away); A Real Field of Dreams (approx. 2.7 miles away); Black Hill Gold Mine (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksburg.
Categories. • Animals •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 487 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.