Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Sentry Box

 
 
The Sentry Box Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., May 10, 2008
1. The Sentry Box Marker
Inscription. The Sentry Box (ca. 1786) is an elegant specimen of late~Georgian~style architecture. Brig. Gen. George Weedon of the Continental Army, later mayor of Fredericksburg, built the house and named it to reflect his military career. Weedon's wife, Catherine, invited the family of Gen. Hugh Mercer, who died at the Battle of Princeton, to live with them. The Mercer children later inherited the property and Confederate General Hugh Weedon Mercer was born here. In December 1862, the Union army built its middle pontoon crossing over the Rappahannock River just below the Sentry Box. Intense fighting occurred here, and the house was heavily damaged.
 
Erected 2008 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number N-31~a.)
 
Location. 38° 17.729′ N, 77° 27.243′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is on Caroline Street near Dixon Street (Business U.S. 17), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 133 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rocky Lane (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fredericksburg City Dock (about 400 feet away); a different
The Sentry Box (1786) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 2, 2008
2. The Sentry Box (1786) Marker
marker also named Fredericksburg City Dock (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fredericksburg City Dock (about 400 feet away); Fredericksburg's Wharves and Harbor (about 400 feet away); George Washington’s Boyhood Home at Ferry Farm (about 400 feet away); Brig. Gen. John Minor (about 400 feet away); No Outlet (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Signs will shed new light on local history. An article by Rusty Dennen about this and three other sites being approved for state historical markers. It was published in the Freelance Star on January 8, 2008. (Submitted on February 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for The Sentry Box. (Submitted on February 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Civil
 
The Sentry Box National Register Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 2, 2008
3. The Sentry Box National Register Marker
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
The Sentry Box Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., May 10, 2008
4. The Sentry Box Marker
The Sentry Box image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 2, 2008
5. The Sentry Box
The Sentry Box was built in 1786 by Gen. George Weedon image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 2, 2008
6. The Sentry Box was built in 1786 by Gen. George Weedon
In this February 2008 photograph, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources marker had yet be dedicated. The pole is visible, awaiting the sign's installation.
The Sentry Box <i>(View from the Rappahanock River) image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 2, 2008
7. The Sentry Box (View from the Rappahanock River)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,284 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 14, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   4. submitted on May 14, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   5, 6, 7. submitted on February 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement