Waterford in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lock 2 Park
[Front Side- Left Panel]
Lock 2 Park
•Old River Lock #4
•The Waterford Rural Cemetery
•The Northside Business District
•The Waterford Historical Museum and Cultural Center
If you turn left, you will pass the Side-Cut Locks and access:
•The Waterford Harbor Visitor's Center
•The Site of the Button Fire Engine works
•The Hudson and Mohawk Rivers
•Pebble's Island State Park and Visitor's Center.
[Front Side- Right Panel]
Side-Cut Locks Empty A unique view of the Side-Cut Locks when drained of water in the winter time. The view is from below the steel pilings on the right and looks down the locks from the bed of the original Champlain Canal, down through three lock chambers, out to the Waterford Harbor area and into the Hudson River.
Side-Cut Locks The originally built locks, seen here, were constructed during the canal enlargement era circa 1860 and were the first gateway to the Canal System. With the exception of the wooden doors and mechanisms used to open and close them, they remain the same as in 1860.
The original purpose of
Some old time canallers referred to this area as "The Crossroads". A boat entering the top chamber of the lock and turning right it was headed north to Lake Champlain. A left turn would link with the original Erie Canal with the first two miles of its trip toward Lake Erie.
There were Side-Cut Locks at West Troy, now known as Watervliet, which were designed to accommodate west bound traffic. Any vessel that used the canal had to fit into these locks.
[Reverse Side- Left Panel]
Pictured here tying up along the towpath just north of the locks are two old canal tug boats, the Annex and the Almira. The Annex was the first tugboat to successfully engage in towing on the Champlain Canal. In the background note the Broad Street Bridge. This was a lift bridge to allow boat traffic to pass under and other traffic to pass over. Boat traffic had the right of way.
The W.C. Baxter docked on the other side near Ever's Coal Dock was the first tug boat that was specifically built to tow on the Old Champlain Canal. After the Annex became successful
Shown here, being steered under the lift bridge, is the Wonder, whose home port is New York City. Note the high arch bridge over the canal at Division Street. The mules pulling this boat are almost to the next bridge.
[Reverse Side- Right Panel]
By noting all the cargo carrying canal boats awaiting to enter the system, one gets a feel for the amount of activity here.
The Van Schoonhoven's operated a mule barn here and were allowed to charge $0.25 per boat to pull them through the locks. In this Picture barn boss Fred Bass oversees a locking.
The Van Dervoort Family owned and operated the tug Annex on the Old Champlain Canal. All family members lived on a houseboat, sometimes accommodating eleven people. Pictured here is the family home, the Rudder Grange, traveling through the lock. On board is mother Julia, daughter Beatrice and brother Elmer.
The last picture shows Engineer William Van Dervoort, in 1909, preparing the tug Annex for a trip through the Side-Cut Locks and up to Lake Champlain.
Erected by The Village of Waterford.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. Touch for map. The sign is located at the top of the Side-Cut Locks beside the Old Champlain Canal at the edge of an un-named road that provides auto access to Lock E2 Park. . Marker is in this post office area: Waterford NY 12188, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flight of Five Locks (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Troy - Waterford Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterford Bridges (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterford Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Matton Shipyard (approx. ¾ mile away); White Homestead (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
More about this marker. The marker is in the form of a dual-panel, double-sided sign with historic photos and text on both sides.
Also see . . .
1. Waterways of Waterford, New York. (Submitted on December 27, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Waterford Harbor Visitor Center - Gateway to New York's Canals (Submitted on December 27, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 27, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.