Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Bennett

 
 
Fort Bennett Marker image. Click for full size.
February 2, 2008
1. Fort Bennett Marker
Inscription.
Historical Site
Defenses of Washington
1861-1865
Fort Bennett

Here stood Fort Bennett, a small outwork of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May 1861. With a perimeter of 146 yards and emplacements for 5 guns, it was designed to bring under fire the slope northwest of Fort Corcoran, which could not be seen from there.
 
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.993′ N, 77° 4.685′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on 22nd Street North, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22209, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dawson-Bailey House (approx. mile away); Fort Corcoran (approx. 0.3 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rosslyn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Watergate Investigation (approx. 0.4 miles away); ARPANET (approx.
Fort Bennett Marker image. Click for full size.
February 2, 2008
2. Fort Bennett Marker
Looking east - Washington, DC skyline visible in distance.
0.4 miles away); Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Exorcist Steps (approx. 0.6 miles away in District of Columbia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Bennett.
 
Additional comments.
1. Fort Bennett Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:

As mentioned on the marker the fort had a perimiter of 146 yards and mounted five guns. The armament was two 8-inch howitzers and three 24-pdr guns. The fort was named for Captain Michael P. Bennett, 28th New York Infantry, who presided over the construction of the fort.

Units that garrisoned the fort during the war include the 28th and 97th New York Infantry, 4th New York Heavy Artillery, 164th Ohio Infantry, 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, and the 88th Pennsylvania Infantry.
    — Submitted February 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2008. This page has been viewed 2,989 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement