Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

San Diego Barracks

1850 - 1921

 
 
San Diego Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, December 9, 2007
1. San Diego Barracks Marker
Inscription. An army supply depot for Southern California was established on this site in 1850. Designated New San Diego Post, it was garrisoned by troops from December 2, 1858 to May, 1866. Reoccupied December 1869. Name changed to San Diego Barracks April 5, 1879. Abandoned December 15, 1921. Acquired by City of San Diego July 13, 1938.
 
Erected 1955 by San Diego County Board of Supervisors and the Historical Markers Committee. (Marker Number 523.)
 
Location. 32° 42.699′ N, 117° 10.205′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on West Harbor Drive east of Pacific Highway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 738 West Harbor Drive, San Diego CA 92101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Punta De Los Muertos (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); USS San Diego Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tuna Fleet Service, World War II (1941-1945) (approx. 0.2 miles away); United States Aircraft Carrier Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clifton A. F. Sprague, Vice Admiral, USN
San Diego Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, December 9, 2007
2. San Diego Barracks Marker
(approx. mile away); Lane Field Ballpark Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Assoc., 1911 (approx. half a mile away); Cotheret Building, 1903 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Diego.
 
Regarding San Diego Barracks. New San Diego was established as a quartermaster depot by Captain Nathaniel Lyon, 2nd U.S. Infantry, in 1850-51 to supply military establishments in Southern California. The name of the post was changed from New San Diego to San Diego Barracks by General Orders No. 2, Military Division of the Pacific, San Francisco, April 5, 1879. San Diego Barracks continued to operate as a subpost of Fort Rosecrans until abandoned December 15, 1921. SOURCEL: California Historical Landmarks, California State Parks
 
Also see . . .  San Diego Barracks (Including New San Diego Depot. (Submitted on January 15, 2012.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryNotable Places
 
San Diego Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, December 9, 2007
3. San Diego Barracks Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement