Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Near here stood Tun Tavern, 1693–1781, which is regarded as the traditional birthplace of the United States Marine Corps, authorized by a resolution of the Continental Congress, November 10, 1775.
Erected 2005 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 39° 56.836′ N, 75° 8.553′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of South Front Street and Samson Street, on the right when traveling north on South Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pennsylvania Abolition Society (a few steps from this marker); Monument to Scottish Immigrants (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Monument to Scottish Immigrants (within shouting distance of this marker); Courage of the Scottish Immigrants (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Scotland The Irish Memorial / Leacht Cuimhneacháin na nGael (within shouting distance of this marker); An Gorta Mór - Ireland's Great Hunger (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Warrior Culture of the U.S. Marines. 2001 book by by Marion F. Sturkey. “On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress commissioned Samuel Nicholas to raise two Battalions of Marines. That very day, Nicholas set up shop in Tun Tavern. He appointed Robert Mullan, then the proprietor of the tavern, to the job of chief Marine Recruiter — serving, of course, from his place of business at Tun Tavern. Prospective recruits flocked to the tavern, lured by (1) cold beer and (2) the opportunity to serve in the new Corps of Marines. So, yes, the U.S. Marine Corps was indeed born in Tun Tavern. Needless to say, both the Marine Corps and the tavern thrived during this new relationship.” (Submitted on December 29, 2011.)
2. Wikipedia Entry. Excerpt: “Tun Tavern hosted the first meetings of a number of organizations. In 1720, the first meetings of the St. George’s Society (forerunner of today’s ‘Sons of the Society of St. George’) were held there. The Society was a charitable organization founded to assist needy Englishmen arriving in the new colony. In 1732, the tavern hosted St. John’s No. 1 Lodge of the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Temple in its first meetings. (The Masonic Temple of Philadelphia recognizes Tun Tavern as the birthplace of Masonic teachings in America.) In 1747, it became the founding point of the St. Andrew’s Society, which, similarly to the St. George’s Society, aided newly arriving Scottish.
“Tun Tavern was a significant meeting place for other groups and individuals. In 1756, Benjamin Franklin used the inn as a recruitment gathering point for the Pennsylvania militia as it prepared to quell Native American uprisings. The tavern later hosted a meeting of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the Continental Congress.
“According to tradition, Tun Tavern was also where the United States Marine Corps held its first recruitment drive. On November 10, 1775, the First Continental Congress commissioned Samuel Nicholas, a Quaker innkeeper, to raise two battalions of marines in Philadelphia. The tavern’s manager, Robert Mullan, was the “chief Marine Recruiter.” Prospective volunteers flocked to the place, enticed by cold beer and the opportunity to join the new corps. The first Continental U.S. Marine unit was composed of one hundred Rhode Islanders commanded by Captain Nicholas. Some three million U.S. Marines have been exposed to the significance of Tun Tavern. Each year on November 10, U.S. Marines worldwide toast the colonial inn.” (Submitted on December 29, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,899 times since then and 241 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.