Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
South Central Bell
1881 - 1981
Erected 1981 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 32° 21.108′ N, 90° 52.727′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Grove Street and Cherry Street, on the right when traveling west on Grove Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vicksburg MS 39183, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Natchez District (here, next to this marker); Vicksburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Men of Kindness (within shouting distance of this marker); Hard Times Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Remarkable Orator (within shouting distance of this marker); Mississippi Dental Association (about Featherston-Magruder House (about 300 feet away); Growing and Changing (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
Regarding South Central Bell. Louisiana Telephone company changed its name in 1883 to the Great Southern Telephone and Telegraph Company, then in 1898 the Cumberland Telephone & Telegraph Company. In 1913 Southern Bell takes over Cumberland Tel & Tel. In 1968 AT&T splits South Central Bell from Southern Bell. After this marker was cast, South Central Bell was reunited with Southern Bell in 1995. BellSouth followed and in 2006 BellSouth was merged into AT&T, today’s wire-line telephone company for Vicksburg.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 31, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.