Gadsden in Etowah County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Congregation Beth Israel
“Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself” - Leviticus 19: 18
The cornerstone for the sanctuary was laid on March 8, 1922 with both Jewish and Masonic rites. The sanctification was celebrated on February 23, 1923.
While the dedication of the Zemurray Social Hall on March 25, 1960 was marred by a fire-bombing, the Congregation has steadfastly remained committed to both its Jewish heritage and its community.
Dedicated by Congregation Beth Israel and The Etowah County Historical Society 1998.
Erected 1998 by Etowah County Historical Society.
Location. 34° 0.844′ N, 86° 0.701′ W. Marker is in Gadsden, Alabama, in Etowah County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Street and South 8th Street, on the right when traveling west on Chestnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 761 Chestnut Street, Gadsden AL 35901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Etowah County, Alabama (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel Hood House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gunn-Bellenger House William Luther Sibert Major General U.S. Army (Ret.) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eleventh Street School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gadsden Times-News Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gadsden Amphitheater (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gadsden.
Also see . . . Congregation Beth Israel History. (Submitted on December 23, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on January 1, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 19, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.