Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Scottish Rite Masonry
Philip C. Tucker, the Deputy Inspector General of the Masons, read charter establishing "San Felipe Lodge of Perfection." It was named after San Felipe de Austin, capital of first Anglo-American colony in Texas.
As Texas Masonry flourished, "L.M. Openheimer Chapter of Rose Croix" was organized in 1882. "Pike-Tucker Council of Kadosh" was granted a charter in 1898. The "Texas Consistory No. 1" was established in 1899. The present cathedral was dedicated in 1929.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7180.)
Location. 29° 18.248′ N, 94° 47.51′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue F and 22nd Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue F. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2128 Avenue F, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Cathedral (was about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); Texas Society, Sons of the American Revolution (about 500 feet away); 1894 Grand Opera House (about 500 feet away); Galveston in the Republic of Texas (about 500 feet away); Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Eaton Memorial Chapel (about 600 feet away); George Campbell Childress (about 700 feet away); Exploration [of Galveston] (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.