Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Soldiers and Sailors Monument

 
 
Soldiers and Sailors Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
1. Soldiers and Sailors Monument Marker
Inscription. Directly before you in the square stands the soldiers and sailors monument, erected in 1874 by the Lancaster County Monumental Association to honor the brave men and women of Lancaster County who died to save the Union during the Civil War. The monument is constructed of white granite in the Gothic style, and depicts men on pedestals at each corner from four branches of the Armed Service: Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry and Navy. Overlooking all stands the genius of Liberty, her sword pointing downward signifying the end of the bitter conflict.

The idea to establish a memorial to the fallen dead originated at a meeting of the Soldiers and Sailors Union which elected a committee, later known as the Lancaster County Monumental Association, to spearhead a drive for the construction of a monument in Penn Square. From December 2-7, 1867, the Patriot Daughters of Lancaster, the first society organized to aid the Union soldiers, held a ladies fair benefit in the Fulton Hall and raised $3,500 toward their $20,000 goal. The remainder of the monies was obtained through donations and from the militia fund and military taxes released from the Lancaster County Treasury.

Several years later, on July 4, 1874, the completed monument was proudly dedicated. Rosina Hubey, a leader in the drive to erect the monument, voiced the hope that it
Soldiers & Sailors Monument image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
2. Soldiers & Sailors Monument
Monument is in the circle of the town square.
would be, "a perpetual reminder to all people of the country as they gather week-to-week to barter and chaffer in the market place, that there is something higher and better than self or produce, bargains or bank notes."
 
Erected 1874.
 
Location. 40° 2.282′ N, 76° 18.355′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of Queen Street and King Street, on the left on Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Old Center Square (Penn Square) (here, next to this marker); Central Market (here, next to this marker); Early Transportation Routes (here, next to this marker); Home Site of Col. William Henry (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Dale Kaufman (within shouting distance of this marker); James Buchanan (within shouting distance of this marker); Lancaster City (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Lancaster markers displayed together.
 
Categories. LandmarksMilitaryPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Civil
 
Inscription on Monument image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
3. Inscription on Monument
Erected by the people of
Lancaster County
To the memory of their fellow citizens who fell
in defence of the Union
in the War of the Rebellion
1861 - 1865
Five Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, February 2, 2008
4. Five Markers
This and four other markers are grouped together on the northwest corner of the square. Central Market can be seen in the background. See related markers below for the other 4 markers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,915 times since then and 181 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on February 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement